Tuesday, November 17, 2009

For Preemies and Their Families


As all of us bloggers unite throughout the land, it makes me think how very different each of our lives are, yet how we all have something special in common: we’ve come here today to help those babies who can’t help themselves. In my previous post, Prematurity Awareness Month, I highlighted prematurity and how we can all help the March of Dimes fight for preemies. Today, I write for preemies; not for just one baby, but for the thousands that I have cared for in the past decade, for their families and for all preemies around the world.

Read More...

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. When our (now 3 and half, and healthy) preemie twins were in the NICU, there was a nurse who gave us the advice that you give above. I think her support set us up for a lifetime of successful and positive parenting, even though we started out in fear.

    For parents expecting multiples, or with other conditions that make preterm birth likely, I would also recommend taking a tour of the NICU before the babies are born. I think we would have been a little less overwhelmed if we'd done that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great suggestions. It's so overwhelming for new parents to cope with all the sights and sounds and fears surrounding their new baby. All the help we can give is so important. Thanks for reminding everyone to fight for preemies today - and every day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the add on twitter, @palmersf.
    My son was born at 28 weeks.
    You should read his blog sometime.
    http://palmersf.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete